Monitoring: scenarios and alarms
I worked 2 years at New Relic, and I've been building frontends for more than two decades. So I know a thing or two about observability but should I bother? Regardless, I am still curious to know what's the landscape in 2023 for small website owners.
Status ⌛ some work to do
Find the minimum solution that could possibly work for knowing if there is trouble.
- simple to setup
- notifications: at least an email
- if using instrumentation
- ❗ open-source client / kit
- ❗ does not impact performance of site
- ❗ does not capture any visitors data
- no superfluous data that no one (me) will ever analyse
Nice to have: free service.
Scenarios to monitor
- the domain can not be reached
- not responding with the expected content (expected page is not there, empty, or fundamentally broken)
- detect spikes of 404 (possibly, some content was lost or misplaced during coding, build or deployment)
- detect client-side errors
- New Relic
- open source? self hosted? in the end it's a few functions and endpoints