Previous incarnations of this website.
When, what, how?
See the docs section for details on the current version.
For the past few years I have been running my website as a static.
The previous version was very similar to the current one. Also a static site, but built with React Static + SCSS.
- Roughly the same design as today.
- Also, a similar information architecture: pages, posts, tags, meta.
- All the content authored with Markdown and pseudo-MDX.
- React is also running on the client-side and you can navigate without full page reloads.
Already a static site back then, but built with my own cool generator joy: , something I had derived from the documentation websites I had built for 2 component libraries at work (Style guide driven development was all the rage).
- Markdown, parsed and rendered by my generator.
- Pure HTML/CSS and some EJS templates.
- No JS running on the browser.
- Full static page reload on navigation.
- This is when I started using the black / red / white colour scheme I believe, as well as the moon picture.
Dark ages of social media
My online identity, presence, and content were entirely suppressed, 😵 swallowed bones and all, by the social networks for reasons I explored in this post.
Wordpress. Self-hosted on some VPS provider? Why can't I remember, arghh... 😓 I remember Lighttpd and NGINX though. At least a step up from Apache days.
At some point during these years I was running at least 2 or 3 websites at the same time:
- A blog about anything, including how to have fun processing laundry.
- A more professional site, where socks were not invited.
- Sociedade Anónima: a blog about street art in Portugal.
PHP custom stuff, built around Zend and/or Cake and/or something else always evolving. And hosted on some crappy shared hosting provider, managed via cPanel.
Ohhh! I could we? I feel dirty just thinking how hacky and irresponsible the whole thing was.
Still is? 😇
Pure static HTML + CSS + JS and one picture of a matrioska that I was sort of making my "brand".
Written in notepad, my first online CV looked like Flash without the Flash, but indeed with some impressive DHTML animations.
I wish I had some screenshots, let alone the code.
Also, FTP'ed with much ❤️ and patience.
How did it all start?
I have written a boring long page about my story with computers and the internet. You are invited to dig deeper.
You're pretty far down this 🐰 🕳️ hole, aren't you?